Tales from the Bonny Blue House

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Essay Contest

Anyone who knows me know that To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite novels. It is nice to see that the author of this great work of American Literature is a supporter of homeschooling. I would imagine that not many American novelists would make such a distinction. I saw this New York Times link posted at Cottage Blessings and another mention of it at the Bonny Glen. Apparantly those in Oprah's camp are falling over themselves to deny having excluded homeschoolers from their essay contest. Of course exclude them is exactly what they did. Funny, I am guessing the vast majority of the one million homeschooled children in this country don't watch Oprah. Maybe her staff thinks that makes them somehow unqualified to participate in a writing contest. I would be willing to bet a years worth of chocolate that some of the homeschooled teens I know could write circles around any Oprah producer they would chose to put up. Maybe that's why they were excluded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home