Tales from the Bonny Blue House

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Never Knew

I knew that pregnant women suffer more in the summer, that the heat is much harder to take. I knew that intellectually the same way I know an internal combustion engine powers my van and that chlorophyl makes plants green. What I did not know... IS HOW HOT IT IS WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT. Good heavens it's awful. I had no idea. Now you have every reason to assume a person about to have seven children would know everything there is to know about being pregnant. Nope, no, no way - I know nothing. Previously I have had my first trimesters in the summer months. That can be awful but in a different way. Nausea and fatigue are the same no matter what the temperature. This is the first time I have experienced the third trimester in the summer. It is not going to be fun. I idiotically assumed that the anemia that kept me shivering all winter would protect me from the heat of summer. I don't know why I thought that but I did. Boy was I wrong. The last few days have been hovering around 80 degrees, which is not even that hot. I am completely overwhelmed by it. Dave has not gotten the air conditioners up and running yet so I am relying on cool breezes and lots of cold water. I am pretty sure the A/C will be up and running soon (I keep gazing longingly at the unit) and I am pretty sure I will spend the next 8 weeks standing in front of the vent. Until then if you stop by the Bonny Blue House and don't see me, I might just be sitting in the refrigerator.

8 Comments:

  • I'm expecting my fifth end-of- summer baby. I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line and two of them were born during record setting heat. I've never done twins though...Here's the deal: invest in a maternity bathing suit. I know this is probably trickier when you have to cover two babies but pay someone to make it if necessary and just don't worry what you look like. The only time you'll be comfortable outside is when you are chest deep in a pool. And it will really, really help swelling. Never go anywhere--not even from one room to the next--without your water bottle. Water is your friend. Forget food (unless it's watermelon); just drink and drink. Dehydration is wicked in the summer when you're pregnant. Grant yourself permission to use the AC liberally. Make it COLD to sleep if necessary. You must sleep and you can't do it if you're hot, particularly since you can't drink and sleep at the same time. If you want a long walk, go very early in the morning or later in the evening or go to the mall. If all else fails, pretend you live in Arizona where it's expected you'll be inside in the AC all summer:-).

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at May 30, 2006 2:56 PM  

  • Oh, Mary Ellen, we had an electrical problem here today, and I thought I was going to die without the air conditioner!

    By Blogger Alice, at May 30, 2006 8:06 PM  

  • LOL, Mary Ellen, what a funny post. Though I feel for you. My August baby was a long, hot, tough summer. I'll keep you in my prayers! :)

    By Blogger Dawn, at May 31, 2006 3:29 AM  

  • Thank you Elizabeth for all the suggestions. I have never owned a maternity bathing suit but I may have to just go out and get one. Or at least a pair of shorts and tank that I can wear in the pool. I wouldn't venture out of the yard like that.

    I have been drinking water, water, water....

    By Blogger Mary Ellen Barrett, at May 31, 2006 5:24 AM  

  • Alice you poor dear! I would call LIPA and cry like a lunatic until they came to fix it!

    By Blogger Mary Ellen Barrett, at May 31, 2006 5:25 AM  

  • Thanks for the prayers Dawn, I need those above all things.

    By Blogger Mary Ellen Barrett, at May 31, 2006 5:25 AM  

  • I *lived* on watermelon last summer when I was pregnant with the twins. It was awful. It would take me so long in the morning to get into my clothes after my shower because as soon as I stepped out of the shower, I immediately began to sweat and I could not wrestle myself into my underwear! Sometimes I just got the kids, put them in the car, turned the AC on and drove around. Other times we would all just go to the McDonald's playland.

    My first child was born in October and my twins were born in October, but by now you probably realize that everything is magnified about 10 times with 2 babies. I was SO huge, and the heat just made it that much harder to move around. My husband grilled a lot of our dinners so we wouldn't heat up the house and so I could sit in front of the fan(s) and put my feet up. I also drank an enormous amount of water every day, much more than I did with my singles. (You probably already know this, but with twins it's extra important to get that water daily because twins are so prone to preterm labor, you don't want to exacerbate any contractions you may be having.)

    Hang in there!! I'll be praying for you and those babies!

    By Blogger Angel, at May 31, 2006 4:14 PM  

  • I have had most 3 of my babies in the summer. Two in Texas summers with late August deliveries. It's hot, hot, hot. My favorite place was the grocery store--the frozen food aisle.

    Like Elizabeth said, drink lots and lots of water.

    By Blogger KC, at June 01, 2006 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home