Tales from the Bonny Blue House

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Never Knew

I knew that pregnant women suffer more in the summer, that the heat is much harder to take. I knew that intellectually the same way I know an internal combustion engine powers my van and that chlorophyl makes plants green. What I did not know... IS HOW HOT IT IS WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT. Good heavens it's awful. I had no idea. Now you have every reason to assume a person about to have seven children would know everything there is to know about being pregnant. Nope, no, no way - I know nothing. Previously I have had my first trimesters in the summer months. That can be awful but in a different way. Nausea and fatigue are the same no matter what the temperature. This is the first time I have experienced the third trimester in the summer. It is not going to be fun. I idiotically assumed that the anemia that kept me shivering all winter would protect me from the heat of summer. I don't know why I thought that but I did. Boy was I wrong. The last few days have been hovering around 80 degrees, which is not even that hot. I am completely overwhelmed by it. Dave has not gotten the air conditioners up and running yet so I am relying on cool breezes and lots of cold water. I am pretty sure the A/C will be up and running soon (I keep gazing longingly at the unit) and I am pretty sure I will spend the next 8 weeks standing in front of the vent. Until then if you stop by the Bonny Blue House and don't see me, I might just be sitting in the refrigerator.

5 Comments:

  • Oh, Mary Ellen, we had an electrical problem here today, and I thought I was going to die without the air conditioner!

    By Blogger Alice Gunther, at May 30, 2006 8:06 PM  

  • LOL, Mary Ellen, what a funny post. Though I feel for you. My August baby was a long, hot, tough summer. I'll keep you in my prayers! :)

    By Blogger Dawn, at May 31, 2006 3:29 AM  

  • Thank you Elizabeth for all the suggestions. I have never owned a maternity bathing suit but I may have to just go out and get one. Or at least a pair of shorts and tank that I can wear in the pool. I wouldn't venture out of the yard like that.

    I have been drinking water, water, water....

    By Blogger Friar Suppliers, at May 31, 2006 5:24 AM  

  • Alice you poor dear! I would call LIPA and cry like a lunatic until they came to fix it!

    By Blogger Friar Suppliers, at May 31, 2006 5:25 AM  

  • Thanks for the prayers Dawn, I need those above all things.

    By Blogger Friar Suppliers, at May 31, 2006 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home