Tales from the Bonny Blue House

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Mommy Brain

There was some recent discussion on my favorite homeschool message board about the book The Mommy Brain. The premise of the book is to deride the myth that motherhood makes you stupid. The author makes the case that motherhood actually improves your brain and can make you smarter. Ok. Why do we need this book? Don't get me wrong I'm glad the author wrote it. She consulted with nuerologists and other experts to prove her point. I am just wondering why it is necessary to have this movement to prove that motherhood is good and worthwhile. It seems as if it is in fashion now so we have to justify staying home and raising our children. Apparently until recently it was thought that if you were "just" a mom your brain was atrophying. Moms can seem vague. They are forgetful. I think it is likely that that is more a result of sleep-deprivation and just having too much to think about. Is my head full of soccer schedules, karate lessons, math programs and reading assignments? Yes. Does stuff get lost in the shuffle? Absolutely! Less intelligent? I don't think so. I recently piled five children into the van and left the driveway. After a few minutes, driving toward town, I had to ask. "Anyone know where we are going?" I could not for the life of me remember why I put everyone in the car. Now this might make a person concerned for our safety, but rest assured I get everyone where they have to be and in one piece everyday. I'm not dumb, just busy and I don't need a book to tell me that. That having neen said I still can't do calculus and I am woefully ignorant of many things. I still can't figure out how the picture comes through the wires on to the t.v. and I will never speak Russian or Chinese. However, There are a lot of things I know because I am a mom. I now know why the sky is blue and where wind comes from. I know what an emu and a puffin are and where they live. I have memorized Good Night Moon, The Runaway Bunny and countless songs and nursery rhymes. I know what a karate pinion is and what the eight block positions are. I am teaching myself and the children Latin and I am trying to pick up some Gaelic. I know that kisses that leave wet Oreo schmutz on you are the best. I also know that baby wipes are the single most important invention of the 20th century. I know my husband loves me and always will. I know that I am a wonderous creation of God and through myself and Dave he performed five miracles. I know I am essential to the well being of a beautiful family. That is what this "Mommy Brain" is full of. I can live with that.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home